Wednesday, February 22, 2006

Thanks for coming in today

This is another wacky story about the bookstore I used to work at.

Like any retail store, we experienced our fair share of theft. One day I'm in the music section and these two 15 year old kids are checking out some CDs. One was chunky, the other was pretty thin. Remember I was the music manager and basically knew when things were out of place or is something was weird. Well these two kids were suspicious so as they were walking to the front of the store I followed about 15 feet behind them. As soon as they crossed the security barriers the alarms went off and immediately those two kids took off running. Well, so did I. They took Amy Grant and I was pissed about it. So, like a movie action star, I whipped out my cell phone and dialed 911 while running behind the two punks. As they ran through the parking lot and crossed the street with me on their heels, I calmly explained to the 911 operator that Amy Grant was just ganked. They decided the 8 CDs they stole were too much weight and dropped them in the street and a car ran over them, cracking and slitting the discs and cases everywhere. AMY!, NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

At this point a car stopped to avoid hitting a kid. He saw that I was chasing them and they had dropped CD and decided to get out of his car and chase them with me . But, this dude was an old dude and slow and he ran in front of a car coming the other way. That driver screeched to a halt and started screaming at Old Dude. Eventually those two guys started fighting each other.

So I follow the kids around the back of the little strip mall across the way. By this time the chunky one was tired and had lost a shoe so he was just trotting along and yelling at his buddy to slow down. I just strolled behind this dude, his shoe in hand, and talked with the 911 lady, who I found out likes Amy Grant! I told her what happened to Amy and she got pissed. Once the kids ran around the little mall and back out onto the main street the getaway car pulls up. The skinny kid jumps in and Chunky who is still just walking gets left behind as the van takes off. So this makes Chunky upset and he start crying. Chunky and I get back onto the main street and the getaway car must have realized that they left someone, so it stopped in the middle of the street to wait for him. At the same time three kids, I swear they were 10 years old, jump out of the van and say they are going to beat me up. I told the 911 lady this and she starts laughing but asked me if the police are there yet. Her words must have been magic because at that moment the cops peel around the corner and the culprits all try and run and hide. Chunky even tried climbing a tree.

So, now I pose a question to you, if you've made it this far. The cops called me a couple of days later and asked what we wanted to do with the kids. I called the VP of the company I worked for and asked and he said "We need them to learn a lesson so we need to charge them with theft". Should this company, being a "Christian" company, have responded that way? I want to know what you think

Also, if you have not already, go check out my buddy Caleb's blog. He has a really great post on being Green. You should read it. Amy Grant did.

5 comments:

Caleb M. Saarela said...

Thanks for the shout out, and that story makes me laugh every time I hear it. I can just envision you walking behind the chunky kid without his shoe and I just crack up...

Anonymous said...

scott,
keep the bookstore stories coming...!!

Anonymous said...

Scott,

You're the HERO. I think the guys should be charged. NO ONE gets away from stealing AMY

Anonymous said...

Nice story, Scott. Who knew working at a bookstore could be so adventurous?

As far as the whole "Christian" company thing - I think I would charge them. Who knows? It could be the best thing that ever happens to the kids. I don't know about all these technicalities, but the company might be able to suggest the prosecutors offer a plea bargin where the kids could get it taken off their record if they complete community service or something.

But I don't see how letting them off completely would help them or discourage more theft.

Anonymous said...

Scott,

Great story, and I was there! My opinion is that they shouldn't have charged them. The Christian thing to do is to turn the other cheek. Laters!!

Rachael